Anaphylaxis reaction is an acute allergic reaction, that if not treated promptly can be life-threatening. It can occur within seconds or minutes of exposure to an allergen. You can be allergic to anything. Therefore anaphylaxis reaction can occur with anything. It can be any food you eat, the fabric you wear, or an insect bite. If you have got anaphylaxis from a certain thing once, you have to avoid exposure to it for a lifetime. Getting exposed for the second time with the trigger can cause even a more serious anaphylaxis reaction. Therefore you have to be cautious.
Sometimes it is hard to detect the exact causative agent for anaphylaxis. To know about it, your healthcare provider will help you with it. They will also advise you to make a list of what you eat, wear, the environment, and your health condition. In this way, figuring out the exact trigger can become easy. Knowing the trigger is so important because if you do not know it, you may get exposed again to it, which can again lead to life-threatening reactions.
To treat the anaphylaxis reaction, your healthcare providers will administer you epinephrine and other medications for symptomatic relief. If you have an allergy, you should visit a healthcare provider frequently for follow-up visits. For an expert opinion, you should visit Best Internal Medicine Specialist in Islamabad.
What Are The Symptoms of Anaphylaxis Reaction?
The symptoms of anaphylaxis occur within seconds to minutes of exposure to the allergen. However, sometimes, it can occur after more than half an hour of exposure. And in very few cases, it can occur even after hours. The common signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis reaction are:
- Skin conditions such as hives, wheal, and erythema. Along with that, the skin may become flushed and pale.
- Hypotension or low blood pressure
- Respiratory tract symptoms, such as severe difficulty breathing due to bronchoconstriction, swollen tongue or throat, wheezing, excessive mucus production, and cough.
- Nausea and vomiting
- Dizziness or fainting
- A rapid and weak pulse
What Is The Cause For An Anaphylactic Reaction?
Normally, your immune system produces antibodies when it senses something foreign. It does that when a foreign particle such as bacteria, virus, and other germs enter your body. But sometimes, your immune system misperceives any non-harmful thing as harmful and foreign in your body. To get rid of that, it gets activated and reacts vigorously. One can not predict that when and how your immune system reacts to a certain thing.
Sometimes eating anything, such as peanuts, walnuts, almonds, or certain food or wearing any kind of fabric such as nylon, or velvet can also cause an anaphylaxis reaction. Drinking a juice with artificial flavors or food additives can also lead to an allergic reaction.
Anaphylaxis reaction can literally occur due to anything. How your immune system reacts you a particular particle, all depends on it. For one person, those things will be completely normal. But for another, it can become life-threatening. Therefore you need to understand that not all things are the same for all humans. If someone eats a certain food and it does not harm them, can cause you an allergic reaction.
Things that can cause anaphylaxis reaction commonly are:
- Certain medications such as antibiotics, aspirin, pain relievers
- IV contrast used in radio imaging tests
- Nuts, sesame, shellfish, and peanuts
- Stings from bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets, and fire ants
What Are The Risk Factors For Anaphylaxis?
The risk factors for anaphylaxis reaction can be:
- Having a history of anaphylaxis reaction previously
- Having allergies and asthma
- Heart disease
- Mastocytosis- irregular accumulation of white blood cells
Anaphylaxis reaction can be life-threatening. Therefore, it should be treated promptly. If you have allergies or asthma, you can consult with a healthcare provider. For an expert opinion, you can visit Internal Medicine Specialist.